Thursday, March 17, 2011

Starting Solids!



We started solids this Monday and boy was Rokstad ready for this milestone!  I really wanted to wait until we hit six-months, but there were some big signs he was ready a couple weeks early.  For example, every time I eat around Rok he's either reaching for my fork or opening his mouth like a baby-bird. 

Monday night after I nursed him he was acting ravenous despite a full feeding so I felt like we were ready.  We grabbed the Bumbo, stripped him down to his diaper, and mixed some rice-cereal with milk.  The first taste evoked some funny faces and he did a lot of smacking his gums together to get the feel for it.  But any initial hesitation quickly passed as he lunged for the spoon and reached at the bowl for more!  We captured the experience on camera but for some reason it wont let me upload it on here.  I'll try again tomorrow and see if there are less 'technical difficulties'.

Starting next week I'll be making Rok's baby food.  First up on the menu is carrots as we explore the realms beyond rice cereal.  My biggest hope for the baby food experience is that Rokstad hasn't inherited his Daddy's picky eating habits.  But on that note....for those of you that haven't heard, Gabe has given me an amazing gift in the month of March; he's willing to eat ANYTHING I put on his plate (with the sole exception of onions).  The first night I went wild and made Souvlaki, a Greek dish consisting of large chunks of tomatoes, olives, and cucumber (as Gabe put it, he had to meditate on the love of Christ to get through the meal).  He also pointed out that this was the very first time he's eaten fresh tomato and reminded me of a story from his childhood where he turned down 20 dollars from Papa and a whole glass of soda offered to him if he tried it. 

The second night I didn't go as wild and made salmon with lemon and roasted fennel, and Gabe said he'd eat the exact dish even if it wasn't in the month of March...Win!

1 comment:

  1. So glad Rok is doing so well with this new milestone, I keep forgetting to ask, has he moved on to carrots yet? How did it go?

    ReplyDelete